Personal Injury Representation, throughout Kentucky and Ohio

Answering Your Questions About Personal Injury Claims

If your first interaction with personal injury law is after you are hurt or your loved one sustains serious injury, you likely feel very overwhelmed. Merk & Gile, Injury Attorneys, expects that you have many questions. One of our goals as your attorney team is to give you the information you need to feel confident in your decisions.

Below is a list of commonly asked questions our office receives. While these answers are generic and should not be used as a substitute for legal advice, they can offer basic information that orients you during our appointment. For personalized advice, contact our firm and schedule our first meeting. Call our Cincinnati metropolitan area firm at 513-838-2511 or 859-908-1550.

Are my injuries serious enough for a claim?

Your injuries do not have to be life-threatening to require medical care and financial support. Compound fractures, organ and muscle damage and wounds of various levels can require medical intervention. If your injury requires professional medical attention and is caused by another person’s negligence, you may be eligible for legal aid.

What kinds of help can I get?

Personal injury settlements should cover much of your expenses. They often include compensation for your immediate and long-term medical needs. In addition, they may provide for your time in recovery, lost wages and other damages. For a full list of your eligible claims, speak with our attorneys.

Who is responsible for my settlement?

Many personal injuries are clear-cut. When you are in an accident, there is a clear other driver or another party involved. In some cases, like instances with multiple people or where a contractor for a corporation is involved, the responsible person may be more difficult to identify. In short, the court asks: Who ultimately should have known better or behaved differently? That person, and often their insurance company, are responsible for paying a successful claim.

What do I do if my loved one died?

If you lose a loved one after an accident, you may be able to get help through legal action. Unlike a typical personal injury claim, the decedent’s relatives may choose to file on their behalf. A wrongful death claim may provide critical support for outstanding medical bills, funeral expenses and the lost income for your household. If you believe you have grounds for a wrongful death claim, reach out to Merk & Gile, Injury Attorneys.

Do I have to go to court?

No. Most personal injury claims are settled outside of court. While a courtroom appearance is necessary in some cases, we often can achieve a satisfactory settlement without ever entering a courthouse.

What do I do if I’m offered a settlement?

Consult with an attorney. Insurance companies often send settlement offers quickly and before you understand the full extent of your injury or entitlements. By consulting with Merk & Gile, Injury Attorneys, our lawyers can make sure that the numbers match your needs. We will identify undervalued settlements and will demand your fair compensation.

Do I need an attorney? How much will it cost?

It is always in your best interests to work with an attorney. As a legal resource, a lawyer can review your case and ensure you are treated justly. At Merk & Gile, Injury Attorneys, your consultation is free, and we work on a commission basis. We only get paid if you get a settlement. Schedule a time to come into our office by emailing us today or calling us at 513-838-2511 or 859-908-1550.