Passionate About Winning Personal Injury Claims

Help! The Driver Who Hit Me Doesn’t Have Enough Insurance!

On Behalf of | Jan 12, 2022 | Car Accidents

Kentucky, Ohio and Indiana require drivers to have insurance for their motor vehicles. Nevertheless, many motorists do not have it. According to the Insurance Information Institute, over 12 percent of motorists in the United States do not have insurance.

If a driver without insurance strikes your vehicle, you face the prospect of paying for damages they caused. For this reason, uninsured (UM) and underinsured motorist (UIM) coverage are essential to your peace of mind.

What are UM and UIM insurance?

Simply put, UM and UIM cover the costs of an accident if an at-fault driver damages your vehicle and cannot pay for repairs or medical bills with their insurance. If you do not have UM or UIM coverage, your only option is to sue them for the funds. Unfortunately, if the driver does not have insurance, it is also unlikely they will have the ability to pay for potentially thousands of dollars in expenses.

What are my state’s requirements?

The minimum driving insurance requirements do not include UM or UIM coverage in Kentucky, Ohio, or Indiana. Also, the minimum liability coverage for insurance is relatively low. So, it is likely that even if a driver has insurance, they will not have the necessary coverage to replace a totaled car. Although you may think UM insurance is enough, underinsured motorist coverage should also be a part of your insurance package.

It is stressful enough to get into a car accident. Do not add to the stress by neglecting to carry sufficient insurance coverage. Consult with your insurance company today to ensure you have the proper liability insurance in place.